Monday, February 4, 2013

MONDAY MUSINGS: GO AWAY SON YOU'RE BOTHERIN' ME




I've been fighting the creeping crudsneezing, sniffling, shivering and I feel like crap type of crud. See, when I'm sick, I'm not the sort that likes to be hovered over. I'm perfectly happy being left alone to sleep or entertain myself. It's a case of, I love you, but please go away. Bless their hearts, my guys have yet to get that, even after all these years. Case in point, Saturday.



“WHAT are you watching, Mom?”

I poke my head out from under the quilt, sniff into my tissue, and eye son #1 and his best friend who is really like son #2. They really are smart guys. Well, most of the time.

“What do you mean, ‘what am I watching’? Duh. Looney Tunes. Bugs Bunny, Yosemite Sam, and Daffy Duck. That’s Roadrunner and Wiley Coyote. Sheesh. You've seen them before.”

I did mention he is usually very smart right? Just thought I’d remind you of that.

“Yeah…but you’re watching cartoons.”

“Okay. And…?

“But, you don’t watch TV.”

“Correction, I don’t watch stoopid zombie stuff and all the horror flicks you and Dad like to watch. Obviously, I do watch TV.”

My attention drawn back to the cartoon music intro and I smile as Foghorn Leghorn comes on. 

“Boy, ah say BOY. Go away yer botherin’ me son.” Foghorn always has the perfect quote. I pull the cover back over my head and settle down to watch Foghorn and the chicken hawk. The ‘lil persistent chicken hawk cracks me up. I love the laughter and trip down memory lane when times were simple.

I vaguely hear, in the background, my son talking to his dad. “Dad, I think mom’s feverish. You better check on her.”


A bit later, hubs pokes his head in to check on me. “You doin’ okay? What are you watching?”

Sigh.

I pull back my quilt and glare. “Looney Tunes. Somehow it fits my environment today.”

“How much whiskey did you put into that hot toddy?” He lifts the cup and sniffs.

(Obviously, not enough.) “It’s actually just hot tea, lemon and honey.”

“Huh. Can I get anything for you?”

“I fine, I just need everyone to leave me alone for a while.”

As Foghorn would say, “Like beatin’ a dead hoss, no get up and GO.”

A be dee be dee be dee a That’s all Folks!


  • What do you like to do when you're sick?
  • Do you like being catered to or left alone?